- Category: About us
- Hits: 2039
Al Quds University (AQU), the Palestinian Bar and the French International Institute for Human Rights and Peace (2idhp) invite lawyers from across the world to plead cases for victims of fundamental human rights abuses. For the 10 edition in Palestine, AQU is proud to be partner of this important event and is more proud to host it.
AQU considers this competition which will take place on 21/10/2018 as an opportunity to endorse and advocate human rights promotion and draw attention to the human rights violations that people endure as a result of coercion and oppression.
AQU is proud to promote and serve as a platform for human rights advocacy through this competition and aims to open up opportunities for lawyers to converse and demonstrate their synthesis and cases to a local and international level, aiming to help in reducing people suffering in helping implement justice of law.
An official jury, made up of well-known political figures, influential persons from the law and the arts fields, including a number of internationally-renowned names, has to decide between the candidates. Over the past few years, the International Human Rights Competition often appears to be a last resort and the last chance to speak up against some unacceptable situations.
Application Terms and Conditions
The competition is open to all lawyers registered with the Bar Association, regardless of nationality or mother-tongue and age.
Candidates must produce a pleading relating to an individual, genuine breach of human rights reported in the recent news.
The competition is meant to promote principles and human rights values and friendship between people. Any pleading that will contain remarks in contradiction with those principles and values, praise or incite for racial, cultural or religious hatred, will be consistently rejected.
The competition is organized in two steps:
- The candidates write their pleading in the language of their choice. The speech for the defense must be sent to AQU by 30/07/2018 at the latest, by email, in an attached file with the registration form.
- The written copy of the pleading must be 4 pages in length (font Times New Roman, 12 normal, simple space between the lines, margins 2.5 top, bottom, left and right (until 20/08/2018).
- The final ten candidates will be permitted to give their pleading in the language of their choice.
- Each candidate will have a maximum of 15 minutes in which to give his speech; the lawyers who will go over this time may be penalized (impossibility of being awarded).
- Candidates will be judged by the official jury upon the following evaluation criteria: relevance of the subject (individual case and actual case), construction of the subject, soundness of the argument, strength of the commitment, conviction, sincerity, objectivity, credibility, and oratory talent, respect for the length of the speech.
- The candidates will be required to make their speech whilst robed or wearing the appropriate clothing as laid down by their particular Bar Association. The selected speeches will be published in a document and available the day of the final.